Thursday, March 19, 2009

Valley Of Fire State Park

March 18th I will post some of what we are doing now and go back to Death Valley when I get the time.  I have so many more pictures of the area that I want to share with you.

Valley Of Fire gets its name from the sandstone formations.  Other rock formations include limestones and shales.  The red color of the rock formations is amazing.  Another of my favorite State Parks. 

P1020087

Again we were up before 7 so we could be on the road by 8am.  I know most of you people are early risers but I like to stay in bed and cuddle with the evil kitty. 

DSC_0009

Not sure what I was looking at, but must have been pretty good.  The red color in the rocks just does not show all that good in the pictures, but take my word for it they are very bright red.

DSC_0024

This one shows the red coloring a little better.

DSC_0034

Mouse’s Tank named for a renegade who used the area as a hideout in the 1890s.  It is a natural basin in the rock where water collects after rainfalls, sometimes remaining for months. 

DSC_0051

DSC_0055

DSC_0056

Lots of these rock formations shaped like beehive in this area. 

DSC_0057

Some of the beehives had opening you could crawl into.  Not me.

P1020203

Elephant rock formation.  I had to climb up a pretty steep hill to get this picture.  Mike stayed below so he could pictures of my butt as I climbed.

DSC_0080

Sorry I will not post a butt picture. 

P1020168

We got tons of pictures of Lizards, they were everywhere in the valley.

No comments: