Saturday, June 30, 2012

Whitehorse to Tatchun Creek Yukon

Saturday June 23rd 2012

We didn’t do much sightseeing in Whitehorse due to Mike making repairs to the MH.  Sandy and Steve got out and told us everything they saw.  We will be going thru Whitehorse on our way back, maybe we can spend a day see the sites.

P1100621 P1100622

The welcome sign is a mosic.

We took highway 2 north out of Whitehorse toward Dawson City.  We stopped in the town of Carmacks, which is located on the banks of the Yukon River. Carmacks was named for George Carmack who stated a trading post here in the 1890s. George extracted more than a ton of gold from the Bonanza Creek.  When word of Carmack’s discovery reached the outside world the following spring it set off the Klondike Gold Rush.

Our stop for the night was at Tatchun Creek Yukon Government Campground.

Campground Our 22nd wedding anneversery Our Campsite on Tatchun Creek Yukon P1100634

It was our 22nd wedding anniversary, and I don’t think we could have found a more beautiful place to spend it.  We grilled some rib eye steaks for dinner and toasted 22 years of marriage with a glass of champagne. 

I have this problem with water, I like to get up close and personal.  Well in Minnesota our streams are pretty tame, unlike here where they are really moving.  I had to take my shoes off and put my feet in the water, and wow the current took me by surprise, I grabbed onto some branches to pull myself out, the only thing dry on me was the very top of my head. 

The mosquitos have not been to bad, I did get a few bits around my eyes, and they swelled up pretty bad for a few days.  Mike has been using the mosquito spray pretty much, they really seem to like him.   

 

No comments: