Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Day At The Strip

 Ok ,you all thought that Sandy was writing this and the blog was about to get kinky. Sorry, Sandy gave me the keys to the car and its my blog for the day.

I did some research and found that there was going to be a N.H.R.A. drag race in the Phoenix area.

I haven't been to a drag race since I went to the Nationals in Indianapolis, IN. in 1969. So Steve and I decided to have a guys day.

We left Tucson at about 9 am and made our way toward Phoenix to the drag strip. We got there about 11 am and went inside.

From here on there will be a lot of speed reading, by that I mean pictures, as I remember being told that a picture is worth a 1000 words and the end of my typing finger is getting a callus on it.

I will add some captions so you can tell what you are looking at.

DSC_0165

Here's a Funny car in the pits without its body getting set up for racing.

DSC_0169

Here's some back yard mechanics working on a fuel dragster.

DSC_0220

This is a fuel dragster doing a burnout. Look at the weird shape of the back tire.DSC_0237

Side by side burnout with fuel dragsters.DSC_0238

Notice the two construction workers leaning on there brooms with a 7000 horsepower dragster about 5 feet away.DSC_0258

 

 

 

 

This picture is for our grandson Ryan, the gal in the center of the picture is typical of the hitchhikers in AZ. You may what to come visit us down here.

DSC_0319

This is a series of three pictures of a race where one of the dragsters blows the motor up.DSC_0320

Shows car on left with smoke coming out and the shut, the car on the right still racing.

DSC_0321

This picture shows the car finishing the race at over 300mph as the other car slows to a stop. DSC_0330

This shows the flames of the fuel coming out the exhaust as it gets dark. DSC_0341

Two fuel dragster right in front of us.DSC_0343  

Two dragsters at about 250mph.

 

No comments: