The FDR bridge going to Campobello Island New Brunswick, from Lubec Maine.
James Roosevelt, his wife Sara, and one year old Franklin D. Roosevelt first visited Campobello Island in 1883. That same years James purchased a summer cottage and became summer residents. The site of James’ cottage no longer standing was just north of FDR cottage.
From 1883 until he was stricken with polio in 1921 FDR spent most of his summers on the beautiful island.
Sara purchased the Kuhn cottage in 1909 that would become Franklin’s and Eleanor's summer home for many years. The house has 34 rooms total, which includes 18 bedrooms and 9 bathrooms.
In the late 1800’s wealthy American families stayed at the resort hotels, on Campobello. Many built summer cottages. Today four of these cottages are owned by the Park Commission.
The oval window looking over Passamaquoddy Bay is original to the Hubbard cottage.
The Island is now known as the Roosevelt Campobello International Park.
The Mulholland Point Lighthouse was built in 1885 to guide the many small freighter through the narrow Lubec Channel.
Lubec Maine from the Island.
We were having a glass of wine on a patio in Lubec watching the harbor seals coming in for the evening.